Friday 29 April 2011

Space Bar live brief review



We were asked the design a brand for 'the space bar', which is situated on newcastle college campus. Currently, the space bar is quite unused, only really used by a small crowd of students that attend there regularly. They wanted a brand that would make them stand out and more known to students on campus.

What i enjoyed about the project
i enjoyed this project as i have loved working on live briefs during my first year, i think it is great practice and experience to have, working to a real clients brief, with the possibility of having your work published or made for real.

What i didn't enjoy about the project
I didn't enjoy having the possibility of renaming space bar, i didn't want that responsibility and found it very hard to generate a name for the bar. 

Problems i encountered
Since i had already branded the bistro restaurant, i wanted to make something completely different to that design and unique to space, but i found it quite hard at first to generate ideas. Also, i liked a few ideas i had for the name 'warehouse', but after receiving feedback, i decided the name wasn't suitable and ended up sticking with 'the space bar'

What went well
I thought my symbol worked quite well for space. It was very simple and subtle but i think would work great as a stamp that could be used for events held at the bar. I also think my stationery set looked modern and worked well with the symbol.

What didn't go well
After i had created the symbol, i found it hard to fit the title of the bar in with the symbol. In the end i put the title small next to the symbol, which i thought fitted quite well.

New Skills acquired
Having only a short time period to work to, i thought i created quite a few outcomes within a short space of time, which is something i would have never been able to do in previous years in graphics. I think my overall idea generation is becoming better as grow more confident in my design abilities.

New Knowledge acquired
I now know that i can work to a short deadline and still produce good work, which is something that makes me more confident and will help me with working for other clients in real life situations.

Time management
I thought i managed my time well throughout the project, and had everything finished a few days before hand in, which gave me time to reflect on my design and make a few slight changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment