Sunday 6 February 2011

50 Years Of Helvetica

50 Years of Helvetica is an exhibition about the typeface helvetica, and its influence on the past 50 years of Graphic design and culture.
Online galleries were made by designers from all different parts of the world, displaying 50 influential and memorable events from the past 50 years. Helvetica was used to display each of these events in a creative way.


This image caught my eye because of the simplicity of the design. Using only typography to illustrate the birth of an iconic man in music, and such a famous name, is a really brave idea. I also really like the style of this design, it reminds me of old movie theatres where the names of the films would be placed up outside on a board. This also fits the year of michael jackson and gives the design a vintage feel, even though it was created recently.


This design illustrates the life of Sam Cooke. I love the way this piece has been created, using only the helvetica font. I think the different tones of blue make this piece pop out at your, and it is really clever how they have matched out the features on his face by doing this.


I think this design is my favourite out of the helvetica gallery. I love the illustration style used and the simple use of colour. The helvetica font is subtle in this piece with the characters covering the '60' but i think that works really well, because after looking at the illustrations, you see what era they are meant to be from.


I love the embossed effect on this design. I think the use of clean typography and embossing works really well, and made this piece stand out for me. It almost reminds me of the imprint in some soap products, where it can be seen but only subtly. 


I love the cut out design used in the piece. I think the font works really well hand rendered, giving it a unique look, especially when cut out. I also love the simple character designs, it gives the design a childish feel, but also makes it look very modern.















No comments:

Post a Comment