Monday 9 April 2012

AKFX logo design

I came across a contest on Facebook posted by a special effects make up student who wanted a logo design for her increasingly popular company 'AKFX'. While still a student, she was planning to open a salon so needed a logo that would represent the aspects of the company, being hair, makeup and special effects makeup. 


Looking through several of the entries, i noticed an increasing pattern in the gore aspect, as a lot of the designs had several blood splatters etc, surrounding or in the logo. I wanted to step away from this as i thought it would potentially put off customers that only want the hair or make-up aspect, not the gore. 



Following this, i came up with an initial design for the logo. I used brushes on illustrator to create the letters, and put it in a circle, thinking this could be used the put on products she sells or just as stickers. However, i wasn't really happy with the final outcome of the logo, i felt that i had rushed it a bit and hadn't thought through the design as much as i could have, so i wanted to have another attempt.


So following this, i came up with a new design for the logo. My idea behind this was to represent the aspects of the company within one logo. I wanted to include the 'gore' aspect, but not make it off putting to potential customers, which is where the arrow through the neck came in. I was inspired by the schwarzkopf brand with the head as the logo, so decided to have a bit of fun with that idea, making my own version which was tailored to the AKFX brand. I made the type thin so that it would fit in with the lines of the head, then added in 'hair, beauty, gore' which AKFX asked me to do. 

I think this idea worked much better than my previous and i am really happy with the outcome, wether it gets picked or not! I've needed more logo design in my portfolio so i think this could be put in to add more varied work.

No comments:

Post a Comment